CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

House of Beaufort: The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown
Nathen Amin

Review: ReCreatable by Kevin Scott

Recreatable: How God Heals the Brokenness of Life - Kevin   Scott

This book is one of the best Christian devotionals that I have read. By sharing unique ideas regarding how to view our faith, the author encourages readers to live well rather than focus on being without sin. I appreciated the emphasis that he put on "being human," and not in the way we think of it.

Debunking the common excuse of, oh well I'm only human, Scott responds, "To sin is not to be human; it is to degrade our humanity." His evaluation of our brokenness doesn't necessarily teach us how to be whole, but helps us to understand ourselves, others, and God's purpose and love for us.

I loved the emphasis on loving our neighbors (everyone), showing compassion, and using the gifts that God has given us. Not everyone is meant to preach or go on missions, and we shouldn't feel like failures if we are not doing these things. Instead, we should focus on what God has called us to do within our own scope of influence.

The author also emphasizes the church as a family and a community, a facet that many modern churches are missing out on. Our community of faith should be more than a place we visit for an hour on Sunday. It should be a support system that helps us build our faith and heal our brokenness.

Far from your typical Christian living guide, readers are encouraged to read the Bible in the way that works best for them. No guilt if you are not a few verses a day person! If you prefer intense study sessions that last a couple hours, but then mull over what you've read for a couple of days before going back for more, great! Consume God's Word in the way that works best for you.

This book is not about telling the reader what to do or making one feel guilty. It is about digging deep into what we were truly created to be.

Each chapter also includes questions for individual or group study, which I think would make this an ideal small group Bible study tool.