CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Stephen J. Nichols, R.C. Sproul
In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe

Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistake Self Published Authors Make...by Derek Doepker

Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistakes Self-Published Authors Make That Sabotage Their Success (And How To Fix Them) - Derek C. Doepker

I picked up this short book when it was free on Kindle. It is an encouraging list of issues that frequently hold writers back and how to overcome them. This book is neither a writing guide or a publishing guide, but more of a list of mistakes in either category that tend to trip up beginning writers. For example, the author points out how many self-published authors use unattractive covers that they design themselves rather than spending the $30 that might gain them hundreds in sales.

Most of these tips were not anything that you can't read on a good writing blog, like Jane Friedman's. Of course, I noticed a few items that I have been and continue to be guilty of, but there was no epiphany that will lead me to new levels of success.

If you need some tips and encouragement for your writing, this was a quick read that could almost be treated as a checklist to get yourself back on track. If you already have a solid writing routine, author blog, and books that are selling at a rate you are happy with, you probably won't gain anything new from this.