CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe

10 Questions

Started by Nya - Thanks!

1. What is your favorite childhood book?

I adored the Misty of Chincoteague series and must have worn out my school library's copies of them.

2. E-books or printed books?

I prefer printed books but have opened my heart to e-books as well. I gave in to the Kindle about two years ago and love it! For an inexpensive, easily transportable library, I can't beat it. I also listen to audiobooks when driving or doing housework. I'm an equal opportunity reader.

3. What is your favorite place to read?

My deck. (The cat likes it out there too.)

The beach.

Or in front of a toasty fire!

4. Is there any genre you would never read?

I do not read erotica. Sex scenes in any genre book tend to make me cringe. Not sure what that says about me, but my idea of the perfect bedroom scene is that the characters shut the door & the inference is made.

5. What’s your review rating system?

So, I'm going to be lazy here and refer to Dan's 'Value of a Star' post. He has already created a comprehensive rating explanation that I wholeheartedly agree with, making this one easy.

6. What is your favorite fictional character?

She is somewhat obscure, but I think I would say Lucy Snowe from Villette. I suppose there's not anything earth shattering about her, but I felt a connection to her that I've never felt for another fictional character.

7. What was the best film adaption of a book?

I'm going to disappoint many people by saying that Lord of the Rings is the only series that I would rather watch on screen than read. However, the very best film adaptation has to be The Princess Bride.

8. How do you choose the next book to read?

I try to keep book club selections and novels that I've agreed to review at the top of my TBR. I also watch out for excellent indie authors to read and promote. This year, I have started creating monthly reading lists to help me remember what I should be reading. I never get through them all & others sneak in, but such is life.

9. Top 3 authors?

This is a tough one. My favorite modern writers are Sharon Kay Penman and CJ Sansom. I have also loved Patricia Bracewell's two novels and look forward to more. Favorite classics are Charlotte Bronte and Edith Wharton. Indie writers worth watching are David Pilling and Matthew Harffy.

10. Any book release you are particularly looking forward to?

• The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel - I am both dreading and feverishly anticipating this novel.
  • New Shardlake novels!
  • Outremer by Sharon Kay Penman
  • Margaret Pole: The Countess in the Tower by Susan Higginbotham - this was supposed to be released in August and has been delayed. I'm dying to have it as a resource for my next novel.
  • Book 3 of Bracewell's Emma of Normandy trilogy (no name yet).