20846 Followers
CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

You can also find me on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Dickon by Marjorie Bowen

Dickon - Marjorie Bowen

This is a re-release of a 1929 novel, written to be sympathetic toward Richard III before it was fashionable to do so. Though it may have been popular in its time, I simply do not feel that it stands up to the variety of quality novels that are currently available on this topic.

For those who enjoy the false medieval language used by writers of earlier times, this novel may be more appealing. I found the dialogue, which was heavily sprinkled with doth, thou, and 'eth' at the end of awkward words, to be stilted and uninspiring. It reminded me of the posts that people write in the Medieval Merriment group...except they're joking...and those posts are not novel length.

The plot added nothing to Richard's story for most people who will be tempted to pick it up, and those who do not know his story should look elsewhere for an introduction. Maybe it is partly because I recently finished Conn Iggulden's War of the Roses: Bloodline that I didn't have patience for this boring storytelling. It simply could not compare. Pick up The Sunne in Splendour, Loyalty, The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England, Loyalty Bound, Treason, The Seventh Son, or countless others that have told Richard's story instead.

I thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing this novel in return for an honest review.