20846 Followers
CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

You can also find me on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly

Buried in a Bog - Sheila Connolly

I picked this up because I was in the mood for a cozy mystery and this was available among my library's sparse audio book offerings. It features 20-something Maura, who travels to Ireland to fulfill her grandmother's dying wish for her. When she shows up, bad things start happening as if she were Angela Lansbury.

There's nothing too deep going on here, which was expected and part of the reason I chose it. Unfortunately, it wasn't the fun, light read that I was looking for either. Maura is condescending and rude, assuming that a world-weary American must certainly know better than anyone who has settled for what passes as life in nowheresville, Ireland. This isn't because she is particularly successful either. She flew into Ireland on her last dime and has no home or job to return to, but that doesn't stop her from judging each person she meets and wondering how they can possibly live that way.

The storytelling is bland with eye-glazing details about things like how Maura struggles to drive the stick-shift car she's been given....how many times she stalls....how she has to remember to drive on the left. Yawn. The dialogue is stilted, though the other characters are at least more polite than Maura is.

And the mystery. Meh. Maura keeps saying to herself (she repeats a lot of things) that there's no way these things could be tied together. That's crazy! Yes, it's crazy, implausible, and lazy writing.

Of course, all ends well and she lives happily ever after in Ireland....at least after she cleans up the place a little bit.