CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe

A Perfect Square by Vannetta Chapman

A Perfect Square - Vannetta Chapman

This was another enjoyable installment in the Shipshewana Amish Mystery series. Characters from the first book, Falling to Pieces, are joined by some new people, of course in part because they need someone to kill off. However, these characters were also used to enrich the story and make the reader feel like they, along with Callie, are being welcomed into the Shipshewana community.

I enjoyed the relationships in this book and the way the storylines tied together, but I have to admit that other parts were difficult. Even if I hadn't had recent experiences with it, the theme of young people dying just when they are planning to get married and start their lives would be one to choke me up. Though each situation was thoughtfully dealt with, it took away the lighthearted feel of the first book.

There wasn't so much a murder mystery in this book as there was coping with different types of loss and the unexpected paths that our lives take. I will be carrying on with this series and hope to see one of Callie's many suitors tame her temper a little bit.  ;-)