Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Richard John Neuhaus
A Year with Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Carla Barnhill, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jim Wallis

Halfway point #NaNoWriMo2016

If you have been wondering where I am lately, I have been buried deep in the 16th century. My goal is to have a draft of Queen of Martyrs completed by the end of the month and proofs ready for beta readers in January.

My word count is just past the 25000 word point for the month (75000 in the book so far), so I am on track, for the first time, to meet the 50000 word NaNoWriMo goal. Maybe I shouldn't speak so soon with Thanksgiving almost certain to throw me off course, but I am pretty happy at this point.

Happy, except that I just want to cry for Mary Tudor. How could someone born a princess who would eventually be a queen live such a sad life so empty of love and security? She breaks my heart. If I can make a few less people call her Bloody Mary, I will be satisfied.

Of course, I am sure to get some negative reviews right off the bat for daring to write a sympathetic portrayal of Mary. That's alright. I can take it. She deserves better, and I hope in some small way to help people see another side of her.

Who else is participating in NaNoWriMo? What are you working on?