CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe

Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly

Killing Jesus: A History - Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard

This book is odd. It professes not to be a religious book, but most references are to the Bible. I don't have a problem with that, except that I have read the Bible and was looking for how other historical sources tie in. This doesn't offer as much as it could on that score.

It also is written to be nonfiction, and then includes segments that belong in historical fiction. The motivations and thoughts of historical figures are declared as though the narrator has proof of why people acted the way they did. The clothing that people were wearing is described not as an example of what it could have been, but as if there is no doubt. There were assumptions and inaccuracies that made for sloppy nonfiction.

Finally, there is a lot of tense confusion in this book. It seems to constantly skip back and forth between the past tense that I would expect and an awkward present tense.

I have not read any other books by this author, but the writing quality of this one does not make me eager to pick up another.