CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

The Last Lancastrian: A Story of Margaret Beaufort (Plantagenet Embers Novellas Book 1)
Samantha Wilcoxson
House of Beaufort: The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown
Nathen Amin

The Revolt by Douglas Bond

The Revolt: A Novel in Wycliffe's England - Douglas Bond

This book covers a rich era of British history through the rather different perspectives of a young Oxford scholar and a peasant. Events first bring the two together on the battlefield of Crecy where both are forced to grow up quickly.

Once they return home, each man encounters the injustice of the age in a different manner. Hugh is at school with John Wycliffe, a man whose legacy requires no explanation. Willard's life in contrast is a struggle. When the plague arrives, status protects no one.

While Hugh assists Wycliffe in translating the Bible, Willard lives in anger at the position he is born to. When the men next come together, it is to join again in another type of battle against the corrupt friars and priests of their day.

This book does an admirable job of portraying those who took advantage of the church for their own benefit while balancing it with those who truly wished to share the gospel. Including several verses of scripture in Old English made it real. This was the work they were doing that continues to benefit us to this day.

Life in the 14th century was vividly brought to life through these characters. I only wish that the book had not ended so abruptly. Received from NetGalley.