CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Carla Barnhill, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jim Wallis
The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
Mark Batterson

Private Lives of the Tudors by Tracy Borman

The Private Lives of the Tudors: Uncovering the Secrets of Britain's Greatest Dynasty - Tracy Borman

This book takes a different approach to the history of the Tudors. Instead of focusing on the complicated politics of the era, it takes more of a summary approach to each monarch. Along the way, tidbits of daily life are described, so that you end up with a better idea of what Henry VIII's wardrobe looked like that how he ruled.

For those who have already read plenty about how these monarchs ruled, this might be a fun read. However, if you have already learned a fair amount about them, there is not much new here. The question really comes down to what you are looking for. If you wish to learn some fun Tudor trivia without reading a dozen biographies, this is right up your alley. If you have already read those dozen biographies, this is not going to enlighten you.

As with most Tudor studies, Mary is almost completely overlooked in favor of her sister. She always seems to be lumped in with Edward, despite the fact that she lived more than twice as long as he did and has a spectacular story. Ah well, most are eager to get to Elizabeth, so they will be happy to discover that approximately 1/3 of the book is dedicated to her.

I received this book through NetGalley.