CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
Mark Batterson

Brush of Wings by Karen Kingsbury

Brush of Wings: A Novel (Angels Walking) - Karen Kingsbury

This series is the only reading of Kingsbury that I have done. I know she is wildly popular with Christian fiction readers, but I don't think I will be trying any more of her books. If you like the sugarcoated everything-always-turns-out-perfectly kind of Christian stories, this series is for you.

Maybe it's me, but that kind of story gets under my skin. It literally made me angry.

Spoilers may follow.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe that God can heal, protect, and give us signs. However, I don't think he does it every single time we ask him to. In this book, characters ask for a sign and a mysterious breeze picks up on a still day, or a school of dolphins swims by the beach, or they literally hear a voice in their head. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention, but God's signs seem a bit more subtle in my life.

In this series, there is A LOT of melodrama about how dangerous and vital this mission is. More important than any war or tragedy that has happened throughout history is the fact that these privileged 20-somethings get together. Even with a character with a major health problem, it is difficult to read this and feel any suspense. It's too obvious that everything is going to work out.

But that's not things happen in real life. Every day, people die. Regardless of the people who love them and pray their heart out for them. They die, because sometimes God has a different plan. Sometimes I can't figure out what it is. But I know that reading something like this doesn't strengthen my faith. I don't feel like I could pray as much or study the Bible as much or eat as healthily as these characters and maybe God would answer more of my prayers. It just upsets me, because some people are going to read it and think that's true.

So, I've probably ranted long enough. If you like sweet Christian romance guaranteed to end with a happily ever after, you'll love it. I'm too jaded.