CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

They Thought They Were Free: The Germans 1933-45
Milton Sanford Mayer
In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe
Elizabeth of York: The Forgotten Tudor Queen - Amy Licence This book was purchased as part of my quest to learn more about Elizabeth of York. I have read a fair amount about the Tudors and an excessive amount about the Plantagenets, but Elizabeth - the link between these dynasties - always seems to be forgotten. I was so excited to find this biography that I paid double my normal limit for a book. I wish that I could say that it was worth it.

I'm not sure why so little exists to document the life of this woman who was daughter, niece, wife, and mother to kings, but this is more of a summary of the times that she lived in than the woman herself. Licence talks about the Wars of the Roses, reign of Richard III, and exploration of the new world and then supposes how Elizabeth may have felt about the events going on around her. Admittedly, this is due to the information just not being available, but that doesn't change the fact that I was hoping to read about Elizabeth not the world around her. Though I didn't learn much more about Elizabeth, I suppose it is nice to have a summary of her life for writing/research purposes rather than scouring separate sources.