CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Sarum
Edward Rutherfurd
The Legacy of Luther
Stephen J. Nichols, R.C. Sproul
In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe
Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders & How They Changed America 1789-1989 - Michael R. Beschloss I highly recommend this book to just about anyone. It is an interesting read that not only describles the Presidents' issues, opinions, & courageous stands, but makes the people come alive. You can picture Washington just wanting to go home to Mt Vernon, Lincoln crying that his best will never please everyone, Truman elated in doing what he feels is his part in fulfilling Biblical prophecy, and Kennedy dying before reaching his full potential. This is no dry, boring history book full of dates and facts. The people involved come to life and you learn more about who they were and why they did the things they did. I found myself gaining a greater appreciation for some of these men even as I found that I probably would not have personally liked some of them. Each great president mentioned had the courage to do what was right, not necessarily what would get them re-elected. Maybe it should be a required read for all current day politicians.