CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

They Thought They Were Free: The Germans 1933-45
Milton Sanford Mayer
In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe
Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution - Michelle Moran Many people have already expressed similar views to my own on this novel, so I will be uncharacteristically brief. The main thing that I did not like about this book was the cover. I thought it should have been more indicative of the Revolution, not just some pretty lady. It's really the main reason I did not pick up this book sooner.

Madame Tussaud, or Marie Grosholz as she is through most of the novel, was in a unique position during the French Revolution that enabled her to be relatively close to both the leaders of the rebellion and members of the monarchy. This leads to an interesting look at the varied points of view and motivations that lead to the Reign of Terror. While this is certainly not a comprehensive look at the Revolution, it is quite complete considering it is told through the eyes of one woman. The monarchy was presented in a very pitiable fashion with their biggest fault being their ignorance and trust put in people who only loved them for what they could get out of them. The reader is given the reasons for the uprising but also shown the horrific results.

I would have liked more information on Marie's life after her marriage, but the author does at least include a summary of what happened to key characters beyond the scope of the book.