CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

Sarum
Edward Rutherfurd
The Legacy of Luther
Stephen J. Nichols, R.C. Sproul
In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe
Night over Water - Ken Follett, George Sharpe If you've become interested in Ken Follett for his historical research & period accuracy, this novel will most likely not interest you. Night Over Water reads more like a romance novel than historical fiction. I had been expecting more plot line regarding the war, not the pairing up of airplane passengers as everyone on board decides to have sex with someone they just met. There is something of a mystery going on throughout the novel of just who for and why Eddie needs to bring down the plane, but the end is anti-climatic, farfetched, and just not very exciting. I found most of the female characters detestable - especially Diane who is supposedly desperately wanted by everyone she encounters. As usual, the least comfortable part of the book are Follett's sex scenes which vary between uncomfortable, forced sounding, and ridiculous. I really wish this author would use more of a closed door approach to these moments - sometimes less really is more.