20846 Followers
CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

You can also find me on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold I wasn't sure what to think of this book since I had heard and read widely varying reviews of it. It seems to be a novel that people either love or hate. I must say that it did not evoke strong enough emotions for me to hate it, but I definitely did not love it. I could get past the rather blasphemous version of heaven, which did not include God or even happiness. I could get past the self-absorbed mother who did almost as much damage to her family as the murder of her daughter. I could even get past the idea that the one thing a raped and murdered 14 year old really wished for was to have sex with her junior high boyfriend. What I could not get past was that this book seemed to have no goal. The crime and reveal of exactly who did it and how it was carried out is all spelled out in about the first 25 pages, and the following pages do not seem to be a road to a conclusion, but a story caught in a round-about. Susie watches her family and friends carry on with their lives from "her heaven," and nothing seems to really get resolved. I found myself wondering what exactly I was waiting for, but whatever it was it never happened.