Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

The Naked Public Square: Religion and Democracy in America
Richard John Neuhaus
A Year with Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Carla Barnhill, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jim Wallis
The Sword Thief (39 Clues, #3) - Peter Lerangis This 3rd book in the 39 Clues series was probably my least favorite so far. One of the things that I liked about this series up to this point was the history that the kids learn through reading it. This book was severely lacking in any kind of educational value. I also enjoyed how international locations have been described giving kids a bigger picture of the world beyond there own little corner. Unfortunately, this book's description of Tokyo was a little too much in the style of a B-movie for me. As for the story, we get more of the same globtrotting, getting out of seemingly impossible situations within the same page of getting into them (how about a little suspense before making everything turn out ok?), and the added theme of teenage romance & betrayal that I was not crazy about. That being said, kids will enjoy the adventure and at this point are probably pretty invested in seeing what happens to Amy & Dan. I will read on because I'm a little invested in them too, but I hope the series improves.