20846 Followers
CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

You can also find me on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

How to Read 100 Books

I've recently completed my 2013 reading goal of 110 books. While I realize that there are people out there who read even more, I will undoubtedly hear many exclamations of "How do you do that?" and (my favorite) "I just don't have that kind of time!" I thought I would address these comments with an explanation of how I read over 100 books per year.

Some things I do:

Always have a book with me. If I have more than 30 seconds while I am waiting in line or for one of my children, I am reading.

Listen to audiobooks. All that time in the car and doing housework is transformed into reading time.

Read quickly. Three decades of being a voracious reader has served me well and I am able to finish a book in less time than the average person.

Skim. Not often, but I do skim if a book is not holding my interest. My time is finite and I will not waste it on boring storyline, clunky prose, or repetitious dialog.

Some things I don't do:

Watch TV or play video games. The above comments frequently come from people who watch TV and play games on their iPhones for hours each day. I am convinced that most people do not realize the quantity of time they spend on these activities. I skip them. I stick to a couple of shows per week, and the only game app on my phone is the Ultimate History Challenge.

Listen to the radio. Insert audiobooks here. Yes, I sometimes flip on music or tune in to the British History Podcast instead, but I have invested much of this time into getting through more books.

Obviously, not everything that I do in the name of bibliophilia would suit everyone, but if getting through more books on your to-read shelf is one of your goals for 2014 I hope these tips help. What are your favorite ways to squeeze in reading time?