CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

In the School of the Holy Spirit
Jacques Philippe

Exerpt: No Such Thing as Perfect

No Such Thing As Perfect - Samantha Wilcoxson

Collette considered the full length reflection of herself in the mirror. For a moment she chewed on the inside of her cheek and wrinkled her forehead as she tried to decide if the outfit she had chosen was the right one. What appeared to be the entire contents of her closet were discarded on the bed and floor around her.

As her eyes moved up to her face, she stopped the chewing and made a mental note that she should certainly not make that face in public. Her hair was a color that she thought of as brown and her mother assured her was “almost auburn.” She admitted that in the summer some blond and reddish highlights became more visible, so she was glad that this first day of seventh grade was still technically during the summer months and her shoulder length hair was looking its best. She pulled the strands that she preferred to have covering part of her face into a metallic blue clip so that she wouldn’t look too shy. This was her chance to be a different person.

New school. New friends. New Collette.

Want to read more? Enter the giveaway for No Such Thing as Perfect going on now!