CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

The Last Lancastrian: A Story of Margaret Beaufort (Plantagenet Embers Novellas Book 1)
Samantha Wilcoxson
House of Beaufort: The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown
Nathen Amin

Review: Nowhere Was There Peace by David Pilling

Nowhere Was There Peace - David Pilling

Nowhere Was There Peace is another great novel by David Pilling. With amazing attention paid to historical detail, he recreates England in the time following the death of Simon de Montfort. As in his other novels, the author creates personalities and characters that are realistic, not the overly romanticised versions that make their appearance in other novels.

Of course, I went into this novel with the expectation that the protagonist would be a faithful follower of the saintlike de Montfort, but Pilling never fails to surprise. He tells the story of the Disinherited through a colorful cast of characters. Hugh Franklin is the main character in this novel, and he is a royalist spy. Rather than buying into the fight for rights of the common man, though he is as common as they come, Franklin believes in the power of the monarchy.

Several characters are introduced in this book, which made me wish that it went on for a few more pages so that I could learn more about them. Many were well developed in the time that they were given, though Miriam was one who I never truly connected with or understood her allure to every male character she came in contact with. I enjoyed the development of Robert, from the most upstanding of his clan to something much lower.

As with every other book by this author, Nowhere Was There Peace has left me wanting to read more.