CarpeLibrum

Carpe Librum

Reviews and bookish conversation with author Samantha Wilcoxson.

If I am lost, you will find me in medieval England.

You can also find me - and my books - on my blog.

Historical Novel Society

House of Beaufort: The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown
Nathen Amin

On Deck: 1066 What Fates Impose by GK Holloway

1066: What Fates Impose - G.K. Holloway

Like most of you, I receive requests from authors to review their books from time to time. I am usually happy to do this, though I have had to start being a little more particular.

This time, I received a request that I was giddy about!

When Glynn Holloway contacted me to offer a copy of 1066 What Fates Impose, I jumped at the chance to obtain a copy of this book that was sitting near the top of my TBR list.

Being a British medieval history buff living on the wrong side of the pond means that I am frequently forced to wait for books to become available in the US or used in the UK, if I don't want to pay $30 to get them. This time, a lovely copy has been provided to me free of charge! Thank you! Thank you!

I can't wait to start reading this story of Harold Godwinson soon!

From the back cover:

England is in crisis. King Edward has no heir and promises never to produce one. There are no obvious successors available to replace him, but quite a few claimants are eager to take the crown. While power struggles break out between the various factions at court, enemies abroad plot to make England their own. There are raids across the borders with Wales and Scotland.

Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex, is seen by many as the one man who can bring stability to the kingdom. He has powerful friends and two women who love him, but he has enemies will stop at nothing to gain power. As 1066 begins, England heads for an uncertain future. It seems even the heavens are against Harold.

Intelligent and courageous, can Harold forge his own destiny – or does he have to bow to what fates impose?